tabs for the new help site

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu May 25 14:06:20 UTC 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 8:35 PM, Matthew East wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 14:09 +1200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>> Many, if not most, help pages will be relevant for multiple Ubuntu
>> versions. So I think having top-level tabs for the versions is
>> inappropriate.
>
> You might have a point, but at the moment the help website is
> organised like this: 5.10 docs, 6.06 docs, wiki docs. We can't change
> that basic structure now because the 6.06 webpage has been localised,
> and it will be a shame to waste that. So I think we have to work with
> the structure that is there for now.

I'm not disputing that there should be a section about things that are
*only* to do with a particular release, or that its front page should
be localized; they're both good things. I was talking about the
top-level navigation, which leaves no obvious place for pages like "How
do I upgrade from Ubuntu 5.04 to 6.06?", and (once Edgy is released)
"Which Ubuntu release is right for me?".

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/