xubuntu desktop guide

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu May 25 17:06:44 UTC 2006

Hi Luzi,

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 16:26 +0200, Luzi Thoeny wrote:
> Matthew East wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 15:01 +0200, Luzi Thoeny wrote:
> >
> >> may I ask if Xubuntu Desktop Guide is going to be on
> >> [http://help.ubuntu.com/6.06] as well?
> >>

> > I was thinking about this last night too - obviously it should be there.
> > The trouble is that the translated index pages do not contain links to
> > it. What we can do is add it to the site, and include it in the English
> > index, then update the translated pages later when the translators have
> > had a chance to catch up. Does that sound sensible?
> >

> This seems a good idea, as far as I can tell.

I've added the relevant stuff in my local copy and it looks great. I had
a read through too, very nice!

But... you've included some screenshots using the <graphic> element.
These show up extremely large when making pdfs (and go off the page),
and having had a quick dig around [1] I've come to the conclusion that
it is unlikely to be possible to resize these.

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Graphics.html

I think that if you use <mediaobject> instead, it may be possible to
resize them appropriately for the PDF files by setting the scaling ratio
and then ignoring that in the html stylesheets [2].

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ImageSizing.html

It's up to you if you want to make that change. If not, we can either
(a) just put HTML on the website and not PDF (that would be a shame
because if we make PDFs we can publish them on lulu), or (b) leave those
images out.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com