Ubuntu Help compared with other help systems

Andreas Lloyd lloydinho at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 11:05:04 UTC 2006

Funny that I forgot about this. As a first time user, I automatically
picked the top option -("Desktop - that sounds about right") and went
straight through looking for Ubuntu documentation. And instead I found
all of this GNOME stuff which is really unhelpful: No, I don't want
deskapplets, No I don't want to read about mouse conventions. After
having looked through that, I gave up - concluding that Ubuntu's help
was just as useless as all the other OS'es.

Of course, this was back with Warty, when there was no Starter guide. I
write this based on Breezy, where there is a starter guide, but can't
comment on the current state of Dapper. But still - I think that it
should be the very first thing you see when open up the help system -
ie. the first link you see.

The desktop guide is not just a mere starter guide - it covers most of
the basic functions of Ubuntu - and much better than any of the
standardized information currently in the four categories "Desktop",
"Applications", Other Documentation", "Manual Pages" - oh, and please:
how is a new user ever going to know the difference between
"documentation" and "manual pages" ?
It might be a good idea to explain the differences between these categories.

A most centrally: There's a lot of good work in that desktop guide -
make people aware of it!

Once a user has become familiar with his system - a sort of intermediate
user - he'll want to be able to search for a certain help topic, not try
to second guess where that help might be (in "applications" or in "Other
documentation"?)

There's so much stuff from various authors in there, that it is
difficult to navigate. I don't know whether the docBook format supports
proper searching like some other help functions (I couldn't find one),
but what is really needed is a good index. From which you can easily
access all the relevant help functions, whether it is GNOME or a Man page.
Alternately just refer people to the Wiki.

Concretely, I'd suggest something like this as a first page for the Help
Topics:

******

About Ubuntu
A short description of the Ubuntu 6.06 operating system

Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop Guide
This guide aims to explain to the reader how to configure and use the
Ubuntu desktop, including adding and using new applications, playing
media files and configuring hardware, printing and networking.
______________

Desktop Documentation
This contains in-depth guides on the use and configuration of the GNOME
Desktop Manager.

Application Documentation
Here you will find in-depth manuals for the programs found in the
Applications Menu.
[NB: where is the documentation for the GIMP and Open Office?! These are
probably the ones most likely to be used!]

Technical Documentation
This contains documentation on specific technical elements of the Ubuntu
system.
[I don't know what to call this, really. It is just to warn to average
users: Geek spoken here]

Manual Pages
Concentrated documentation on the command line elements of the Linux system.

A list of all the topics in the Ubuntu help system. Use the search
function to find the solution to your problem.

******

Sorry if this came across in a ranty sort of tone. It was meant most
pleasantly. I think we have some excellent docs for Ubuntu, but it
really does matter how we present it. I don't think it'll help turning
it into the task-centered help which other help pages use - those are
usually equally confusing. To me, a quality search function is essential.

Thanks,

Andreas