Proposed schedule change

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 16 08:06:43 UTC 2006

cc: to TB

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 15:40 -0800, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> >> I think 2
> >> weeks would be great that puts us at April 6?
> >
> > It would yes but I'm finding it difficult to see whether we actually
> > need it or not. The only documents that seem to need it are the
> > Packaging Guide, (possibly) Server Guide for reviewing and (possibly)
> > Release Notes.
> >
> > We could do a staggered freeze for these, but I'm not sure I like that
> > idea. How about 1 extra week to polish off the review on Release
> > Notes,
> > the Server Guide and Desktop Guides, with extra leave for Jordan to
> > work
> > past the freeze on the Packaging Guide (I'm not so fussed about
> > translation starting ASAP for the packaging guide).
> >
> > Anyone else have any more views on this?
>
> I just talked to Keybuk. The push has been approved and https://
> wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseSchedule/Slewed has the new schedule
> approved by the TB. This means the UI Freeze is now on April 20th and
> the DocStringFreeze is on May 4th.
> Are we OK with that? I told Keybuk that we were thinking of a much
> sooner Freeze (to allow more time for translation, etc.) but he
> didn't think it would be necessary. He asked why it would  take
> longer for translation for Dapper than Breezy. Since I wasn't around
> the doc team for Breezy I couldn't give a good answer.

I'm not OK with it. A 6 weeks extension is not needed (the docs are
nearly ready), and the extra time definitely IS needed for translation.
First of all, the time in Breezy wasn't nearly enough for the
translators. Second of all, there is LOADS more material this time than
last time. The desktop and server guides are new, and all of the Kubuntu
docs are new (because they weren't translated for Breezy).

Equally, the UI freeze on April 20th will not affect our strings: if
screenshots have to change, the strings in the documents don't change so
this can be done at any time.

What might be a pain is if we freeze earlier and then important strings
go and change in the distribution (String Freeze isn't until April
27th). This may affect menu entries (although it's not very likely) and
so on.

So here's what I propose.

We extend our freeze by only 1 or 2 weeks as seems to be the general
consensus on this thread (with the exception of the Packaging Guide).
Translators can then get cracking.

However we'll have to define freeze as "Documents don't get changed,
except for last minute changes made essential by late changes in the
distribution".

If such changes are made, they should be announced to the -doc and
-translators mailing lists, and we will reupload the pot template to
rosetta.

Thoughts from docteam/TB?

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com