Quickguide and Desktop Guide

Venkat Raghavan venkatraghavan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 06:00:34 UTC 2006

There is some confusion over the Quickguide and Desktop Guide and as to
whether both are going to be shipped etc.

I think that QuickGuide is a good graphical introduction to Kubuntu. It
approaches things from the application area. The Desktop Guide tries to
answer from the "How do I do this..." perspective.

The Quickguide is a pretty good document, which deals with more basic stuff
than the Desktop Guide (IMO). However, I have issues with shipping both
guides

Issues:
* Unfortunately there is a lot of overlapping material, especially in the
applications section.
*  Presenting two sets of documents to the users may confusing (more so with
overlapping material)

It think it is much better for us to ship one document, and I am proposing
that both be integrated. (and yes, i will do the integrating too).
Screenshots in the desktop guide might be a good idea for new users.

This may however not be a good idea with one week to the doc freeze (not
considering dapper delay proposal).

Ideas, tips and suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Venkat Raghavan