Grammar

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 7 14:10:04 UTC 2006

Hi Rocco,

welcome to the list!

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 07:59 -0600, Rocco Stanzione wrote:

> I hope this post can serve as something like an application to the team.  I've
> got technical writing experience in the aviation and IT industries.  I've
> written what I think is pretty good documentation for my own project,
> ipkungfu.  I've made trivial (spelling and grammar) changes and nontrivial
> changes to a number of wiki pages.  I've submitted documentation fixes
> upstream, most recently to cdrtools.  My biggest contribution, though, will
> be proofreading, a habit of mine that borders on a psychosis.  Spelling and
> grammar errors stick out like sore, rotting, oozing thumbs to me, and it's a
> pleasure to stamp them out.

Proof reading is a very useful way to contribute to our work. As you
probably know, we work on the Ubuntu specific documentation, and you can
checkout our repository and start making corrections. A couple of useful
links:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam

From there you should find instructions on how to submit your
contributions. After you've made a fair amount of contribution, you will
most likely be given commit access to our repository and you can commit
directly rather than through patches.

http://doc.ubuntu.com/styleguide/styleguide.html

Our styleguide - all proofreading should have in mind that guide as the
style we wish to achieve.

> Well, my application to the team is awaiting approval.  If anybody wants to
> push that button for me, I can't wait to apply my sickness to whatever
> documents need attention or are missing.

You don't need to be a member of the launchpad group in order to
contribute: once you're given commit access we'll add you to the
launchpad group.

For any questions, join #ubuntu-doc or email here.

Thanks,

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com