Grammar

Rocco Stanzione grasshopper at linuxkungfu.org
Tue Mar 7 13:59:29 UTC 2006

I found this list from a comment to a thread I started on ubuntu-devel
suggesting a wiki-like interface to simplify doc editing.  I didn't realize
this team existed or that there was an svn repository, which certainly makes
editing easier than apt-get source, grep, edit, diff, email.

I hope this post can serve as something like an application to the team.  I've
got technical writing experience in the aviation and IT industries.  I've
written what I think is pretty good documentation for my own project,
ipkungfu.  I've made trivial (spelling and grammar) changes and nontrivial
changes to a number of wiki pages.  I've submitted documentation fixes
upstream, most recently to cdrtools.  My biggest contribution, though, will
be proofreading, a habit of mine that borders on a psychosis.  Spelling and
grammar errors stick out like sore, rotting, oozing thumbs to me, and it's a
pleasure to stamp them out.

Much of my present professional work involves document parsing and conversion,
so I'm familiar with most documentation formats, including chm, sxw xml,
postscript, pdf, Framemaker, MS Word, docbook and of course html.  My
personal goal is to contribute to the overall polish of open source software
by helping to produce more professional documentation.  Possibly it's just my
quirky sensitivity to its flaws, but it's been my experience that most
existing open source documentation compares unfavorably to most commercial
documentation.  Maybe that's to be expected since it's being produced by
volunteers, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Well, my application to the team is awaiting approval.  If anybody wants to
push that button for me, I can't wait to apply my sickness to whatever
documents need attention or are missing.  Meanwhile I'll be prowling the
streets in black, sans pearls, wielding my trusty paint can and
apostrophe-shaped stencil.

https://launchpad.net/people/trappist

Thanks,

Rocco Stanzione