RestrictedFormats page

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at rediffmail.com
Wed Jun 21 07:18:00 UTC 2006

Venkat Raghavan V.C. wrote:
>> The https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats page really can't
>> decide if it wants you to use gstreamer or xine.  Which is it?
>
> I think one of the issues with gstreamer has been that it does not
> play DVDs. Once that has been fixed, I am guessing that we can go with
> gstreamer for Ubuntu. Kubuntu uses xine for all of its codecs as it
> works better than gstreamer (for now).

I disagree. Last Sunday I could play DVD on my dad's laptop with totem-gstreamer and almost all
gstreamer plugins packages installed. I couldn't use DVD menu or enable subtitles. But the DVD
played well. The command I used is 'totem dvd://'.
The laptop has dapper installed.
(off-topic: The movie was 'Shawshank Redemption'.)

>> I think the 'alternative media players' section should be moved to the
>> end,
>> so that people are first taken down the (ever-improving) gstreamer route,
>> and then, only if that fails, are put onto Xine.
>
> I am not sure how gstreamer works with the w32codecs and such since I
> am on a powerpc machine, so no comment :)

GStreamer works pretty well with w32codecs when gstreamer0.10-pitfdll is installed. I can play .wmv,
.mov, .mp4, .m4v and .rm files.

Onkar