Firefox AMD64 Flash Java

Kilz _ kilzzz at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 20:10:16 UTC 2006

>>Hi Document team.
>>I am a amd64 Dapper user. I will probably remove myself from this list at
>>the end of this question. But I had no other way of contacting anyone on
>>your team. A few weeks ago I wrote a similar question that never made it
>>this list because I wasn't subscribed to it.
>>Well on to the question, and the question is what can we do to restore the
>>"FirefoxAMD64FlashJava" howto for 64 bit users? It seems Cory Burger on
>>the
>>document team wants it gone. It was deleted and is now forwarded to the
>>java
>>page. This has happened twice.
>>The page is a howto for 64 bit users to setup 32 bit Firefox on an 64 bit
>>system. The page that refers to it on the forum has 16,893 hits. The
>>reason?
>>64 bit firefox doesn't have a working flash or java plugin so users have
>>had
>>to make a work around.
>>The page the "FirefoxAMD64FlashJava" page is now sent to , the "java" page
>>has no setup instructions for flash or firefox. It doesn't help people
>>with
>>a 64 bit system do what the orignal howto did. I personally have referred
>>lot of people to the "FirefoxAMD64FlashJava" page, and have used the
>>information myself. Its needed.
>>Is it possible to restore it, or make another howto that gives the
>>information? If it contains dated information, can it just be updated?
>>Because until its possible to install the 32 bit version with synaptic or
>>other methods on a 64 bit system the howto is needed.
>>Here is a link in case you need to see what page im refering to.
>>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxAMD64FlashJava
>>
>>Thanks
>>Kilz
>>

>Just to clarify, I don't want the page gone, I merely want the Java
>(and Flash) instructions consolidated in a single location. There are
>a great many people who might just want one or the other. Here is the
>way forward I see:

>1. Create a page called FirefoxAMD64
>2. Link above page to Java
>3. Link above page to RestrictedFormats for Flash

>That sound good?

>Cheers,

>Corey

Sounds like a good plan. As long as the information on how to setup 32 bit
Firefox on AMD64 with 32 bit plugins is available, I don't care what form
the page takes. Mainly because this is one of the first question someone
switching to 64 bit dapper asks. Is there also going to be information on
setting up the real player plugin that's on the original page?

Kilz