From the docteam meeting

Bhuvaneswaran bhuvan at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 24 13:29:07 UTC 2006

Andreas Lloyd, Thank you for the excellent write-up!

> A lot users aren't aware of the Help menu and its useful contents.
> Traditionally, system documentation has always sucked, and to convince
> users that this documentation is useful, we'll need to trick them. My
> suggestion is that when the user is installing the system, she should be
> offered the option to "learn about using Ubuntu" in the meanwhile. The
> only time that the user is really keen on learning more about how to use
> Ubuntu, is before they actually can play around with it.

This should not be part of the installation program. We can include
the links to online help system as flash message during the
installation. I guess, currently we dont have any such flash item to
display tips & tricks kind of information which other distribution
does.

IMO, during the installation general tendency of the user is to
complete it without breaking the existing setup (if he has one). In
general he'll never look into 'learn about using Ubuntu' if he assumes
to know the installation. So, it may be a overhead and very little
little helpful if we include this link in the installation program. If
we think of having similar help page, we can have 'learn about Ubuntu
Installation', so curious users may be benefitted.

> can add changes or suggestions much like in Rosetta. The important part
> would be that every help section in Yelp would also contain a link or a
> button saying: "Does this work for you? Share your experiences, tips and
> tricks and improve the Ubuntu documentation" which would send people
> directly to the corresponding Comments section on the doc wiki.

It's a wonderful idea. It'll be definitely helpful to improve the
quality of each section. It'll be a channel to receive the feedback of
the users, thus we can improve. I also guess it would be very simple
to implement. So, to include the link/button in the help page wont be
a concern, but to define the landing page will be. If i'm correct,
moinmoin wiki does not support to add comment/suggestion at the end of
each wiki page (correct me if i'm wrong). So, we should see if we can
implement such interactive page in h.u.c or something like that.

--
Regards,
Bhuvaneswaran