Switching from Windows guide

Nicolas Kassis nic.kassis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 21:07:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 09:24:05PM +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi Nic,
>
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 15:30 -0400, Nicolas Kassis wrote:
> > Hi, I quite new to this list (I've been reading for a while) but I
> > wanted to give some input.
> >
> > I noticed that many Windows power users strugle when switiching to
> > Linux. They might need a sort of converstion information such as the
> > differences bettween windows and Linux but a more power user oriented
> > version. Currently it's too basic for them and they feel like their
> > intelligence is insulted or something.
>
> The Switching from Windows document we're working on is probably going
> to be aimed at less-technical users - we're making the assumption that
> power users would perhaps already be comfortable with concepts such as
> partitioning and installation.
>
> As the planned appendices to the guide, we have a couple of sections
> which will probably be a little more technical, on things like Windows
> networking and dual-booting. If you can offer any insights into what
> power users are finding difficult, we might be able to add another
> section into the appendix to cater for their needs if it falls within
> the scope of the document.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil
>
> --
> Phil Bull
> https://launchpad.net/people/philbull
The idea is great. There is a need for a guide for new users but here is an example of something that needs to be address by the documentation in some way.:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=212458

This thread is not exactly about how to switch to linux from windows (in terms of installation and all)  but I think it something the documentation needs to address. Maybe a faq on "How can I do X that I use to do on windows" might be more approriate. Or a tiered guide: one for new users, one for power users, and one for administrators comming from the windows world. I just find that it's harder for Power Users to switch to Linux than people like my grandma. Sounds weird but I found this to happen a lot when I show stuff to people personally.

Nic