Proposal to donate the writing of an ebook/book

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:55:52 UTC 2006

On 1/30/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Wooo! another lawyer!

Matthew means that in a good way... he's a lawyer too.

> On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 21:18 -0500, Michael Steinberg wrote:
> > I've found the documentation useful myself--including the Desktop
> > Starter Guide--but I was thinking of a different audience. I couldn't
> > possibly give even the starter guide to my father, the judge I used to
> > work for, or to the guys at Poor People United and expect them to make
> > sense of it.

Your idea is a good one and will fill a void. Currently, the projects
that the docteam works on are all intended to be viewed in yelp or in
html, mostly after installation. We don't have a stand-alone book
project on the go.  I'm sure many of the members would be interested
in contributing.

Ubuntu information is scattered all over the place; on the wiki, on
the forums, on IRC, and on non-official (but not bad) sources. It
would be very nice to have someone willing to go gather it all up in
to one place.

I suggest the following approach:

1. Hang out on the docteam IRC channel
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Contact)
2. Add your book idea to the meeting agenda
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/MeetingAgenda)
3. Come to the meeting and tell us all about it.

I hope you find that you can work with us. If not, you should approach
a few computer book publishers with your idea; it is a good one. I
know that Manning Press and APress each have books in the works, and I
think O'Reilly has one in German coming out soon.

Cheers,
Jeff