the wiki editing needs to be more user-friendly

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 16 09:56:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 09:33 +0000, Paul O'Malley wrote:
> Mauricio Hernandez Z. wrote:
>
> >>Moin 1.5 still has issues on WYSIWYG though we should probably wait
> >>for a few more releases before actually embracing it on our current
> >>Moin.

> >IMHO, I am very happy with current Moin version we have. A java editor
> >is not my ideal editor but it sure is a simple way to edit pages to many
> >people, and even encourages others to make nicer docs (esp. tables!, if
> >you have been there).

> Yes, I acknoledge that there are free implementations, however to do
> this you would have to document the java install on the wiki at the
> "editing link" on every page not hard to do but if you are new to the
> game and want to participate, it may be fair to say that you consider
> that the bar is high enough already.

Let's be honest about this, the bar isn't actually that high. All that
is necessary to understand formatting on the wiki is to read the text
underneath the edit box. I'm all in favour of making it easy to
contribute, but if users go away because they can't read that text, or
don't read the WikiGuide page, I don't think we can or should do much
about this.

Naturally, the burden is still on us to make the help as good and as
visible as possible, so that those who want to contribute can do so. We
should also make it clear that material can be mailed to the mailing
list instead of inserted directly into the wiki.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com