Word Variations

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 30 17:10:22 UTC 2006

On Saturday 30 December 2006 09:03, John Jeffers wrote:
| Brian
|
| For my technical documents first I work with a style guide and an
| Appendix with the TLA's in it.  Thus you put your decisions in the
| Appendix (and you define them at the same time).
|
| In my documents it is AMD64, ix86, i386, i586, EMT64, (Pentium D,
| Core Duo and Extreme that use AMD64 instruction set, "intel"(R)
| "AMD"(R) original "script") and Ethernet (per Xerox PARC documentation).

Ooh, we need to also add the EMT64 for Intel in there as well. A new user that
has a 64bit Intel processor will see the AMD64 and not their Intel processor
which may cause them to turn around and leave.

| If I am not sure I typically use Wikipedia as todays most technically
| correct guide.  After all they already hashed it out so no wheel
| needs to be reinvented and it's like Subversion ">svn blame <filename>".
| ;-)

I do the same. Only problem I have with Wikipedia is trademarks. They don't
always show trademarks, but nothing going to the products website that won't
answer that question. For instance, if you refer to Microsoft, Windows,
Office, or any of their products in documentation or anywhere,
microsoft.com's legal section specifically states to use a trademark.

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal at ubuntu.com
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124