musicvideophotos.xml.patch

Will Simpson linux.photo.geek at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 02:41:40 UTC 2006

On 12/28/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Will Simpson:
> > Attached is a small patch that corrects some links and fattens the
> > help dialog in the photo section of the musicvideophotos.xml. Added
> > references to f-spot and did some linking to upstream documentation.
> >
> > Comments welcome.
>
> Nice one! Some very good stuff in there. Here are some minor remarks, if
> you can address these and then redo the patch, that would be great!
>
> 1. You don't need a title inside a <note>... any program which renders
> html from docbook will do something appropriate to signify that it is a
> appropriate :)

I was following and example in an online DocBook tutorial. No problem
to change this to <tip>.

> 2. In the link to the gthumb manual, it's probably best to simply point
> at the base page of the manual (ghelp:gthumb" rather than
> ghelp:gthumb#intro)

I tried this and it looked funny to my eye. By linking to the base
page you get the same menu on the right pane as the left pane. I
thought it might be more helpful to land the user just a hair closer
to there answer. Matter of style I think.

> 3. The f-spot section is new, so don't mark it as complete, but rather
> "review".

My mistake because I copied the gimp section then edited. Changed to <review>.

> 4. You can link to the system manual for f-spot, rather than the online one.

There is no f-spot system manual.

> 5. Go ahead and use the &f-spot; menu entity that you created in your
> previous patch.

After the trouble I went to to make the entity - I surely should have
used it. I just missed that edit.

> > 1. Wonder if Graphics should be separated from Sound and Video like
> > the gnome menu?
>
> We merged them together recently on the basis that we thought separate
> topics was overkill for what are quite related subjects.

As photographer, I don't see how sound, video and graphics are related but ok.

> > 2. Could find no mention of scanners in the Ubuntu documentation? I
> > user 'rgrep scanner ubuntu-doc/ubuntu/C/*' I plan on rectifying this
> > soon.
>
> You're right, we don't have any. Maybe it can be included in the
> Printing section. Note that you will possibly find some helpful material
> at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ScanningHowTo although it may not
> be 100% reliable.

No scanning help in the Ubuntu Book either.
Again, as a photographer I don't really relate scanning to printing.
To me scanning, photo manipulation, graphic design has more to do with
imaging that music, video or printing. Semantics I guess.

I'll have to wait till tomorrow to edit and resubmit this patch.