Switching from Windows guide

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 18 22:49:25 UTC 2006

On Monday 18 December 2006 15:28, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
| On Dec 19, 2006, at 4:48 AM, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
| > The reasoning behind it is that if my brother who has never used
| > *ubuntu or *nix wants to try things out and make the switch where does
| > he go to learn how to switch?
|
| Well, "how to switch" is a bit vague here. I suggest these answers, for
| each section in the current "Switching From Windows" guide:
| *   "Why switch to Ubuntu?" --> ubuntu.com
| *   "Trying out Ubuntu" --> ubuntu.com, CD cover
| *   "Hardware compatibility" --> ubuntu.com
| *   "Organizing your [Windows] files" --> a "Before you install" doc
| *   "Converting unsupported file types" --> Ubuntu Help
| *   all other sections in "Preparing to switch" --> "Before you install"
| *   "Obtaining an Ubuntu installation disc" --> ubuntu.com
| *   "Booting from the install CD" --> CD cover, ubuntu.com if downloaded
| *   "Entering basic information" --> the installer itself
| *   "Partitioning your disks" --> the installer itself
| *   "Finalizing the installation" --> the installer itself
| *   "Restarting into Ubuntu" --> the installer itself
| *   "Migrating your data into Ubuntu" --> Ubuntu Help
| *   "Applications in Ubuntu" --> Ubuntu Help
| *   "Dual-booting with Windows" --> Ubuntu Help
|
| As Matthew E said, there's a lot of good information in here, and
| moving it to more appropriate places would make it useful to many more
| people.
|
| Cheers
| --
| Matthew Paul Thomas
| http://mpt.net.nz/

In regards to "the installer itself" you are speaking about the Ubiquity specs
concerning an interactive/presentation view that is going to be utilized for
7.04 during the installation process?

I agree that the information in the "Switching Guide" can and should be
utilized in the mediums you have expressed. I also feel that there should be
one source/location for the entire guide as well. Whether it is on the Wiki
(help.ubuntu.com/community) or as a document on help.ubuntu.com, I believe
having it as one full document is a good idea as well. I understand that the
community wiki already has a "Switching Guide" which could either be fixed
and updated as the "one stop shop store front" or utilize some of the
information and create a full document.

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal at ubuntu.com