FAQ page

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Aug 3 09:53:59 UTC 2006

On Jul 28, 2006, at 12:16 PM, Peter Garrett wrote:
> Well, there are quite a lot of people on IRC who are directed to the
> FAQ. While I agree that on the face of it a FAQ is kind of old
> fashioned, and not really a good use of a web site, summaries of some
> kind can be very useful especially in the case where the user being
> helped needs to get a few fundamental clues, in order to improve the
> quality  of help they get on IRC.

Sure, but if a Q is FA, that's probably a problem with the Web site to
begin with. Pointing people to the FAQ over and over again might be
convenient for those on IRC, but it won't make the people who want help
happy about the overall experience.

> Rather than pointing them at an index for a wiki, or a specific page,
> then, it is at times better to give them something that might clarify
> how live on line help, and navigating documents, works in the Free /
> Open Software world.

I'm saying that it *shouldn't* work that way. Just as "RTFM" is caused
by poor usability, so "read the FAQ" is caused by poor information
architecture.

> To be more general: there are many types of learners, and a number of
> different entry levels in terms of cluefulness and motivation. Do we
> not need a variety of tools to help a variety of people?

Yes -- a reliable search function, a table of contents, and possibly
even an index too. :-)

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas