Improving Ubuntu Help/Docs part 2B

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 02:21:03 UTC 2006

On 4/29/06, David Tangye <tangye at exemail.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 11:50 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
>
> > Thanks for your comments. My view is this: you have said, in a whole lot
> > of words, nothing more than "you should be writing good documentation".
> I regret you could find nothing more than that. It appears that the
> whole thrust of customer focus was lost.
>
> > However, it's not productive of your time to continue these three parts,
> > feel free to just dive into the wiki and start improving things.
> I would certainly not do that. Don't you see that the concepts of where
> I am coming from would need to be accepted first? Else all hell would
> break loose as I went in making changes that reflected them. I have got
> enough flak so far, if I just started changing what I think ought to be,
> there would be an uproar.

David, it's a wiki. The worst that'll happen is that someone will revert
your changes, if they haven't been discussed here first.

And by "discussed", I mean actual concrete "Section X of Page Y should read
like "this"", not buzzword-laden meanderings on how all the existing docs
aren't any good.

>> Help on using the wiki is currently at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WikiGuide
>> and also have a look at the page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WikiToDo
> Have done before. Plus there is https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BetterWikiDocs
> and something about FrontPageDraft. One key point for Part 3 was about
> eliminating all duplicate pages.

None of those three are duplicate pages. WikiGuide is guidelines,
WikiToDo is, well, a to-do list, and BetterWikiDocs is a spec &
discussion of one way of improving our docs.

If you think they're duplicate pages, I wonder if you've actually read
the pages in question.

David, please pick a page on the wiki that you think needs help (Dog knows
there's enough of them), improve it,
then do what Duncan did: post the URLs here, with a quick explanation
of what you did & why, and invite comments/further editing.

That will do far more for the Ubuntu Documentation Projects than this thread
seems likely to.

Brian