Wiki pages for review - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallingSoftware

David Tangye tangye at exemail.com.au
Sat Apr 29 09:29:49 UTC 2006

Sorry , I forgot to say in my last msg about this page:

If it were accepted that the primary customer/reader for this (and
perhaps many other wiki pages and docs) were "Non-technical users" as
per my earlier "rant" then I would take the Section "Packages and
Package Management" back to be just ahead of "Glossary", because it
largely is technical backgrounder stuff that, while filling out nicely
what a non-technical user MIGHT later look up, is not focussed on what
he is probably impatiently wanting to do. In other words, I would ask
myself the question "why might our main customer be here?" I would have
to guess "Because he wants to install something". So give it to him as
soon as you have set the context etc, ie, as I stated before, is so well
done in the Intro.

It states in the Intro "If you just want to get started installing new
programs, you can skip straight to Installing a Package." Don't skip him
anywhere. You are right, that's probably why he's on that page. So give
it straight to him, in the very next section, not later.

ps. The above is an example of what an earlier post of mine said about
focussing on the customer.