Lulu

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 24 23:27:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 21:32 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 13:15 -0700, Jeff Schering wrote:
> > On 4/24/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Jeff, is there anything I've failed to read from that link you posted
> > > that we need to address? Otherwise, if we get some icons, and agree on
> > > the covers, I'm tempted to send off a test pdf and order one copy from
> > > Lulu (maybe for delivery to whoever lives closest!) to see how it looks.
> > >

> > IMHO, send off a test pdf even if you don't think the formatting is
> > right just yet - the sooner we find out if it works the better.
>
> Ok. I'd like to wait for icons though. Once we've got some, we can order
> a book. Someone in the US could be best to receive it, according to:
> http://www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fID=15#shipping

Ok, Jordan has volunteered for this job :)

Status update:

1. I've added some icons from docbook-xsl which I thought were quite
nice and clean. One problem - they are missing a separate note icon, so
I've duplicated the tip icon for now. Solutions to this problem are: 1)
make a note icon in the same style (I've uploaded all the svgs and pngs
to /branches/dapper/common/admon-lulu/ in case someone wants to have a
go at this); 2) drop the distinction between tips and notes in
preface.xml; 3) not bother about it. I'd favour 1), or alternatively 2).

2. I've started building the pdfs to crown quarto size, as most people
seemed to like that.

3. Cover: we need a certain size of cover - Brian can you do a version
of 2345 x 3129 pixels (if I've understood the guidance[1] right). Also,
we might as well update the name of the guide (6.06).

[1]
http://www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fSymbol=book_covers_faq&fLangCode=EN

4. Fonts - everything is now embedded, except for one pesky Monospace
oblique font, which i haven't succeeded in embedding yet. All the fonts
and configuration is in branches/dapper/libs/pdf if anyone wants to have
a go :) Otherwise, I'm waiting on a response from the fop mailing list,
which has bailed me out repeatedly over the past few days.

The latest version of the pdf is
http://mdke.org/ubuntu/desktopguide-bw.pdf

Once 3. above is sorted, I'll upload a test pdf and we can buy a test
copy. Then we can sort out anything that remains to be sorted.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com