Lulu

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 24 20:32:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 13:15 -0700, Jeff Schering wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Jeff, is there anything I've failed to read from that link you posted
> > that we need to address? Otherwise, if we get some icons, and agree on
> > the covers, I'm tempted to send off a test pdf and order one copy from
> > Lulu (maybe for delivery to whoever lives closest!) to see how it looks.
> >

> IMHO, send off a test pdf even if you don't think the formatting is
> right just yet - the sooner we find out if it works the better.

Ok. I'd like to wait for icons though. Once we've got some, we can order
a book. Someone in the US could be best to receive it, according to:
http://www.lulu.com/help/index.php?fID=15#shipping

> A kludgy workaround to all this is to import the single page html
> (desktopguide-all.html for example) into OpenOffice. Once you do that,
> copy all and then paste it into the 6x9 (or whatever) Word template
> [1] provided by lulu. From there, you can format it any way you like;
> get rid of widows and orphans, deal with hyphenation, etc etc.

I'd rather not do this because if we are going to be uploading all the
guides with the various completed translations, it will get very messy
unless we have a decent way of automating it.

> The only other issue I can think of right now is that we have to make
> absolutely sure that people don't think they are getting anything more
> than a printed and bound version of the online docs. We don't want
> anyone thinking they are buying a book with additional information not
> available elsewhere.

Given that the only way of people finding out how to get hold of a copy
will be through reading the document itself (I'd like to do a string
freeze exception to insert a line for this), or possibly our website, we
can draft a suitably clear sentence to make this plain.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com