New web based docbook editor project (was Re: Helpingyourdocumentation effort.)

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 20 07:09:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:03 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> In my opinion, the documentation project can extend to innovation in
> the writing process and medium, not just retaining the status quo or
> what we have been used to. The original documenation team made a
> leapfrog when they moved to svn. In GNOME upstream, documentation
> evolved from writing and improving Yelp itself (which we now see in
> Dapper).
>
> Now its up to the current docteam to rethink its strategies again.
> Since Dapper+1 is "edgy", maybe this team should also follow? (ex.
> finally think on moving to bzr for instance). A little leap of faith
> might help :)

I have no problem with innovation, however: it is extremely important to
make sure that changes are done for a good reason. In the case of bzr,
we should talk about whether the technology is there to give us a
sufficiently centralised repository, which our workflow really demands.

In the case of web editing of docbook, it would probably be a nice
addition, but I really feel that the effort required to make it work is
immense right now, and would result in only a small benefit to us, given
that the current quality assurance system works well and is very
important.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com