The Marketing Team Throws in One of Its Ideas

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 13 16:07:19 UTC 2006

I'm not sure what you need exactly, a new doc, or point to existing
docs but most of the points you raised are already on the CD:

> 1) Hardware requirements

the current ubuntu documents contain some if not all the hardware
requirements. we do not have an existing HCL (we do have
hwdb.ubuntu.com but needs some love) but generally, what works in
major distributions should work as well in Ubuntu (although sometimes
that's not the case). there is a more in-depth requirements page at
the installation manual inside the CD.

> 2) Installation instructions (including dual-boot)

like in reply to 1, installation instructions are at the CD, not sure
about dual-boot though but can be easily covered.

> 3) What to check out after installation, where to get further help

Would the current Desktop and Server Guides suffice? The guides/docs
from the ubuntu-docs package link to certain online resources.

> 4) Anything we might think of to help users (ie. connecting to the
> internet, although this could be included in the SW, and the booklet
> should focus on everything one needs to know _before_ they boot up
> their Ubuntu desktop for the first time)

Again, I'm not sure what you mean exactly - the guides for Ubuntu 6.06
are top-notch and the best release we have so far from the
documentation team. We've covered 3 audiences already (Desktop User,
Server Admin, and Software Developer) and since the documentation team
toolchain allows for online publishing, they are available at
help.ubuntu.com (currently for 5.10 but will have 6.06 when it gets
released).

> I'd like to ask the Doc Team to provide the Doc, if they're willing
> and able, and we will then try taking care of the editing.
> I'd also like to ask Canonical's opinion of this project, and if
> they'd be willing to support it.

The best place to start is go to http://doc.ubuntu.com for the WIP
docs for 6.06 and http://help.ubuntu.com for the current documents for
5.10. In my opinion, we already have those info on stock, what needs
to be done is to massage those docs and get salient points that can be
used for marketing.

Best,

Jerome

--