[patch] add applications - tarballs

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 4 13:31:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 15:00 +0200, Andreas Lloyd wrote:
> Hi there,

Hi Andreas, thanks again for the patch. I haven't committed it yet,
because I want to discuss a couple of things first.

> I made a few additions to the Add Applications section:
>
> - a bit to the introduction of package managers.

Fine.

> - changed RPM and DEB to .rpm and .deb for consistency. Could be the
> other way around, too, I suppose.

I'm not quite sure of the right way to do this. We could probably
enclose the words .rpm and .deb with <emphasis> tags to give them
italics. What I'm concerned by is that several sentences begin with
these words, and it looks odd to have them lower case, beginning with a
period. I'm not sure if the styleguide gives us any guidance here.
Perhaps RPM and DEB is the way to go. What do other people think?

> I also wrote this following bit about installing applications from
> tarballs, but I couldn't figure out how to add it in without getting a
> truckload of errors when validating it.

Ok, the errors are due to the fact that a <procedure> tag needs to have
<step> tags inside it. Where there is no list of steps, we don't use the
<procedure> tag, just a normal <para> is fine.

We might add this section to the "Installing .deb files" section, and
change the name of that section to "Installing single files" or
something generic. Brian, what do you think about adding a basic
paragraph about tarballs along the lines of what Andreas has suggested?
I have no objections. In fact, it might give the "Installing .deb files"
section greater coherence by allowing us to give a proper introduction
to why installing single files is a bad idea, but that it is possible if
there are no other alternatives.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com