some menu entries changes

matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Tue Sep 6 20:22:43 UTC 2005

Dennis Kaarsemaker writes:

> On di, 2005-09-06 at 20:24 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>> Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>>
>> >I strongly disagree with removing the root terminal, please restore this
>> >this!
>> >
>> Hi Dennis
>>
>> We'd like to be consistent about the way people get to root, and sudo is
>> how we do it by default. That lets all the docs converge on sudo. There
>> may be some inconsistencies for Breezy, but we will iron them all out
>> for Breezy+1. it is easy enough to put the root terminal on the panel
>> for people who use it a lot.
>
> There is however a very good reason to keep it: new users don't know how
> to run sudo correctly to get a temporary root shell. I've seen all kinds
> of things:
>
> sudo bash
> sudo xterm
> sudo -s
> sudo gnome-terminal
>
> The only correct way to correctly create a proper temporary root shell
> is sudo -i (which resets $HOME and $USER, sudo -s -H has a similar
> effect). gksudo resets these variables by default, so the current 'Root
> Terminal' menu entry creates a proper root shell where (especially new)
> users will not.

Taking advantage of the fact that this issue is being discussed on the docs
list, I would chip my voice in (is there a bug report to do so?): Dennis
IMHO is quite right that having a menu entry for the root terminal in fact
ENCOURAGES people to use root consistently with how Ubuntu does it, removing
it will cause greater inconsistency. People who don't know how Ubuntu works
will be doing all sorts of odd things to get a root terminal in the absence
of a menu entry. Sudo is not well enough documented in Ubuntu for this to be
avoided.

FWIW my half a cent.