Questions on Documentation on the wiki

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at iserv.net
Thu Oct 27 18:21:17 UTC 2005

On Thursday 27 October 2005 13:00, Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Thursday 27 October 2005 18:37, Matt Kirchhoff wrote:
> > Quoth Dennis Kaarsemaker on 10/27/2005 2:46 AM:
> > >
> > > Me too, instead It should be made much and much clearer that Ubuntu and
> > > Kubuntu are the same distribution.
> >
> > Why? To non-geek users they're *not* the same distribution. If a user
> > has a different interface for burning CDs, listening to music,
> > installing packages, etc. etc., then in a sense it is completely
> > different.
> >
> > If I'm a non-technical user looking for help on installing packages, I
> > don't want to go to wiki.UBUNTU.com, find the section on installating
> > packages, and suddenly be presented with a bunch of information on
> > things I don't see on my desktop. Wait a minute--the label on my CD says
> > "Ubuntu"...what's all this mention of "Kubuntu"?
> >
> > The fact that we have separate websites (ubuntu.com, kubuntu.org) and
> > forums (ubuntuforums.org, kubuntuforums.net) and logos only adds to the
> > perceived division of the two.
> >
> > Quoth Matthew East on 10/27/2005 1:10 AM:
> > > Having one wiki for both does not in any way impede the development of
> > > kubuntu docs, IMHO.
> >
> > Yes, but it does impede the sanity of non-geek users looking for help!
> >
> > If I'm the only one who sees mixing docs as problematic, then I'll shut
> > up! But I do think there needs to be at least *some* division, such as
> > George Deka's suggestion of individual links pointing to docs for each
> > DE.
>
> Matt Kirchhoff is right.
>
> The art of producing the docs for each distro in the same repos was
> originally that we would all distributions would be able to benefit on the
> common base and differentiate themselves with profiles and different
> stylesheet formatting. But still to an everyday user, kubuntu is kubuntu,
> not ubuntu and does not care much that there is a common base or that there
> is a Debian system under there somewheres.
>
> In earlier threads I brought up the question of whether it is a good idea
> for kubuntu to be developing docs in the ubuntu repos. People objected, I
> respect that and we move on. However, it now seems that people have a
> similar problem with doing kubuntu docs under ubuntu wiki.
>
> As I see it, without a technical benefit such as profiles or object reuse,
> there is no real reason why kubuntu should be done under ubuntu. Oh the
> free use of the Canonical server is a plus.
>
> Anyway, I ranted my reasons before, won't do it again. But this makes me
> think there may be something to it.
>
> --
> Sean Wheller
> Technical Author
> sean at inwords.co.za
> 084-854-9408
> http://www.inwords.co.za
> Registered Linux User #375355
> http://wenzani.blogspot.com/

Just wondering if instead of having a different wiki we could just flag them
differently.  KCDRipping of Kubuntu and CD Ripping vs. CDRipping for Ubuntu.
KBreazyInstallNotes vs BreazyInstallNotes.

However I feel this issues is greater then something the DocTeam can solve, it
would be nice to hear some input from the greater powers.