An alternate wiki/doc proposal

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 07:08:13 UTC 2005

I've been following the proposals to make the wiki more usable, both
for those of us who help maintain it and especially for the users.

I haven't yet added any comments to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BetterWikiDocs, but will later.

I do not think we should me moving the actual user docs from wiki.u.c
to docs.u.c or anywhere else. For better or for worse, those docs and
URLs are widely circulated now, and even with the best redirect system
we can do and a large effort, there will be breakages and frustrated
users.

I would like to propose moving the other half of the problem - namely,
the MOTU pages, the specs, and all the development stuff. We're going
to be building at least one new wiki anyway, so would it be possible
to set up dev.u.c or something similar to hold these, and leave the
user docs exactly where they are?

Stuff like UBZ planning has an obvious overlap between public and team
stuff - cases like that will have to be worked out regardless of what
moves where.

So, to sum up: leave the user docs at wiki.u.c; move developer-side
stuff out; leave docs.u.c for the release docs, rather than release
docs+wiki.

My $0.02,

Brian
- Madpilot on irc -