Sec: Unclassified RE: proposal for our repository structure post-breezy

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Tue Oct 18 16:56:45 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 18:32, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> I would strongly be against forking the kubuntu docs off of how we have
> them currently working. Riddell and I spent some time getting things
> cleaned up and working correctly for the docs release of Breezy, the
> about-kubuntu and also kreleasenotes.  I am already working w/ him on
> getting docs organized and straightened out for DapperDrake, please see
> wiki.ubuntu.com/kubuntudocs which is part of a BoF for UbuntuBelowZero
> (wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuBelowZero).
>
> Currently the docs in /branches/breezy/kde/ are the ones that are gettinng
> packaged and setup.  Riddell has worked on getting the makefiles to build
> correctly and to get things setup.
>
> The goal for DapperDrake currently is to have the About Kubuntu Guide and
> Kubuntu Release notes updated for the release, the FAQGuide changed/updated
> and finish the userguide.  The work for these is currently in /trunk/kde
> and will be worked on there until we are ready for branches/dapper.
>
> Feel free to Riddell and I as we are already started on planning Dapper
> Drake docs.

Great I am glad you and Riddle finally did work on it. Although it was ready
for build and packing long before that with the predeb.sh.

Anyway, the reason for forking is to relocate the docs to a place where they
will actually get more attention. At present I find that the Ubuntu work over
shadows any efforts we make. There is little or no time to discuss kubuntu in
meetings etc. Creating a separate SVN, mailing lists, bug tracking system and
IRC channel would go a long way to helping improve the contributions people
make on Kubuntu-doc.

When we first created Kubuntu docs we had several people wanting to write
them. Other than your good self, everyone else seemed to fade away. I think
the major focus and attention placed on Ubuntu could be one of the main
causes for this distraction.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author