Sec: Unclassified RE: Ubuntu Desktop Starter Guide Feedback

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 30 00:44:27 UTC 2005

> Have a look at the multimedia section

Ok I had a look, I like that a lot more. However I have (yet) another
comment on it (although I understand that this was just a braindump,
this is mainly me thinking out loud for the purposes of planning an
approach to adopt on the guide).

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/ch02.html#multimedia

The slight problem I see is the combination between questions and
answers, and the introductory paragraphs: in actual fact the
introductory paragraph contains both introduction, and instructions on
how to do the obvious basic things (in the case of the music section,
the introductory paragraph tells the user how to play mp3s, radio
streams etc, while the qanda section deals with audacity, and id3 tags).
The result of this is that the introductory section looks as if it has
very little to do with the question and answer sections, even though the
latter start their numbering at 1.

If we are to retain the clarify of the qanda approach, I think that we
should apply it rigorously to the whole thing. So the music section
might look something like this:

1. Introduction
 * There are many ways of listening to music on your computer etc etc.
 * [something about free formats]
2. Playing CDs
 * blah
3. Extracting CDs onto your computer
 * soundjuicer etc
4. Playing MP3 and Windows Media files
 * codecs, rhythmbox, xmms/beep-media-player
5. Organising your Music Collection
 * rhythmbox library
 * id3 tag editing
6. Ipod
 * rhythmbox
 * gtkpod
7. Playing Radio Streams
 * blah
8. Installing A Music Editor
 * audacity

Sorry for the aggressive brainstorming :)