packaging - going well, with one exception

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:51:27 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Bhuvaneswaran <bhuvan at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > several minutes)! I have no idea why, because running the relevant
> > command in the command line is really fast. If anyone knows WHY this is
>
> Fortunately, the problem is repeatable. If i run it from Makefile,
> it's very slow. If i run it from the command line, it's fast. If it
> run it from a dedidated Makefile (just an entry for serverguide
> alone), it's fast.
>
> When i debugged, i found it was due to the docbook version we use for
> server guide. Currently, we're using v4.3. For almost all other
> documents we use v4.1.2. So, i used v4.1.2 for server guide and it
> solves the problem. I've attached the patch, please verify and apply.

The reason it takes so long with the makefile is that in the makefile,
the xml catalog that is exported is 4.1.2. What happens is, xsltproc
sees the 4.3 DTD in the xml file, can't find it because it hasn't been
exported, so downloads it from
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd, even though
you may have it installed on your system. This can take a few minutes
depending on your connection speed.

When you do it on the command line, you don't have that problem (I
don't know why yet; I'm far from expert at this stuff)

There a few solutions, but probably the best is to just comment out
this line in the makefile:
export XML_CATALOG_FILES = /usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/dtd/4.3/catalog.xml
 (I don't think the export is needed anymore; the makefile was written
at a time when some members were building docs on SuSE machines)

Cheers,
Jeff

--
GPG Key: 1024D/F23C67E8 2005-02-20 Jeff Schering <jeffschering at gmail.com>