[ubuntu-doc] Re: Proposal to use meinproc for Kubuntu

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 24 04:01:45 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 06:00:22PM +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 11:52 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> * no separate build system for online/offline documents in Kubuntu

Using meinproc or xsltproc makes no difference for this as far as I know.

> * support for xinclude (which in turn has advantages of being able to
> pick and choose which files to translate and which do not need
> translating, and that we can include the licences easily)

What wouldn't need translated?

> * same build system for Ubuntu and Kubuntu docs, same xsl stylesheets,
> different css.

We don't want to us the same XSL stylesheets, we want to use the KDE
XSL stylesheets to make the docs fit in with the rest of the KDE docs.

> * no kde-specific libraries required to build the documents, only
> docbook-xsl.

Why is that a problem?

> * Meinproc makes compressed copies of the html documents, which thus
> save space in packaging (query whether xsltproc can do this?)

The KDE stylesheets also create 1 large HTML document which then gets
split up into individual html files based on <FILENAME> tags.  Someone
would need to work out how to change the stylesheets to not add these
tags, then have rules to add these <FILENAME> tags, concatenate the
files and compress them to create the index.cache.bz2 file that KDE uses.

> * Riddell mentioned that there was an aesthetic problem with the html
> documents we shipped in Breezy created with xsltproc, I'll install
> Kubuntu and take a look at this hopefully this weekend.

They have the <FILENAME> stuff in them.  Using meinproc this would be
got rid of.

Jonathan