wiki transfer plans

Matthew east matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Wed May 18 01:15:29 UTC 2005

> Also, shouldnt we really be
> aiming for language equality, and have all english articles at
> en:foo:bar (or en/foo/bar, if there arent namespaces. Or even better,
> create seperate wikis, and then have <en.ubuntu.com/wiki/foo>.
> Speaking again from my experiences on wikipedia (which may or may not
> be relevent); There have been a couple of splits (most notably
> encyclopedia libre) over language equality issues.

One thing I would say about this: the language areas on the wiki are not
specifically aimed at being equal: they generally contain simply
documentation and locoteam stuff, they don't contain any of the other
stuff that you see in the wiki structure. The devel team works in
English, and much of the other Ubuntu work (Community etc) is done in
English. My personal opinion, having worked quite extensively with the
Italian corner of the wiki, is that there would be no issues over
language equality. But its possible i'm wrong ;)

> > Another option we should give serious consideration is performing the
> > bulk of the transfer by hand. (what, manually? are you crazy?) The
> > advantage with this is that we would have the opportunity to do some
> > thorough wiki gardening in the process. The 1500 pages could
> > realistically be transfered by a team of 10-15 volunteers during a few
> > hours, esp. if we can start from a list in raw text format.
>
> I think this is the best option, for a relativly small wiki such as
> this, cause if sorely needs some better organisation. I'm more than
> willing to help out,

Great! Me too.

> however i still havent managed to get IRC working
> from behind the network im on, and i presume that it would all be
> coordinated from there, so that might be a prob.

easy to resolve i'm sure. What ports are open? No problem to set up an
ssh account from one of our computers, you can tunnel into irc from
there ;)