How to organise translated pages in a wiki?

Olivier Staquet ostaquet at gmail.com
Fri May 13 06:52:19 UTC 2005

Hi all,

My name is Olivier Staquet and I work on the french wiki with some people.

> Matthew east wrote:
>
> >... The French
> >project is particularly notable for having a unique design and content.
> >

> OK, and as Jane says it's important to keep in mind that the wiki is
> more than just documentation production. It has a whole life of its own
> that needs to be preserved. Are there pages on the French side that we
> should try to get translated to English?

Yes, there are. In fact, we have our organisation. The number of
people in the active "team" is 2. So, we can't translate the whole
english wiki and we work with the wishes of the users (a wish list on
the wiki, the frequently asked questions on the mailings-list and some
useful things in our everyday usage).

I think that it exist a locoteam leader but he work on his own website
so the "french team" and the efforts are dispersed.

The whole wiki is difficult to be translated because the pages are
very dynamic. But, it's necessary to have a consistant documentation
for each version of Ubuntu. Can we imagine that we have two parts in
the wiki ?

- a part with the essential documentation (the installation, hardware
issues, software issues for software supported by Ubuntu and the
everyday usage).
- a part with the other documentation (some applications multiverse or
universe, particular issue like mp3, DVD,...)

The essential documentation must be in final version before the out of
the next version and put on a static wiki and the other documentation
is on a dynamic wiki like today.

With the static wiki, we can out some documentation in other formats
(like DocBook).
The static wiki should be in an architecture like Wikipedia (a tree
and each pages have a link to the pages of the other languages) and
the dynamic wiki should be the today architecture (each languages have
a tree).

Regards,

Olivier STAQUET

PS : Sorry for my bad english. :-)