How to organise translated pages in a wiki?

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at canonical.com
Thu May 12 22:30:07 UTC 2005

Matthew east wrote:

>... The French
>project is particularly notable for having a unique design and content.

OK, and as Jane says it's important to keep in mind that the wiki is
more than just documentation production. It has a whole life of its own
that needs to be preserved. Are there pages on the French side that we
should try to get translated to English?

>On the other hand the official documentation produced by the
>documentation team is easier to translate, being relatively static when
>frozen for a particular release. Our current approach is not for this
>documentation to be translated on the wiki at all, but through Rosetta,
>and inserted into svn as you rightly observe.

And is that working well for you ATM? What are you importing into
Rosetta, DocBook files? (I'm all for encouraging the use of Rosetta for
translation obviously)

If we have a semi-frozen 'Publication wiki' with mature documents lifted
from the open wiki, where would translations fit into that picture? We
could maintain an English-only Doc tree in the open wiki, which then
gets mirrored into the Publication wiki. That would then get exported to
DocBook (through magic) and piped into Rosetta. Rosetta pumps
translations back into SVN, which is used to build Yelp and web pages.
The Rosetta injection would happen at some string-freeze time, like 1
month before Breezy.

Does that sound sensible? With this system, the semi-solid English
Breezy docs would be online pre-Breezy, updated periodically, while the
localised docs would appear in one upload at release-time. Native French
pages would remain largely separate from this whole process.

- Henrik