Some work the docteam can do right away

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:30:15 UTC 2005

Hi

Yelp sucks, but it's the tool we have. It would be nice to have some
sort of Linux universal help system based on HTML that could be used
with any distro and any desktop (GNOME, KDE). But we don't have that
(and won't any time soon) so we are stuck with Yelp and whatever KDE
uses.

However, there are some things that the docteam can do to make yelp more useful.

Take, for example, the help for the Add User GUI. Open yelp, and you
can't find it. Well, I can't find it within 2 minutes, therefore it's
not there ;-). Open the Users and Groups, click on the Help button,
and the "Users administration tool Manual V0.35" opens. The help is
GNOME specific. The screenshot is default GNOME instead of default
Ubuntu. It tells you to use "System Tools->Users and groups" menu to
open it, but in Ubuntu it's the "System->Administration->Users and
Groups" menu. It also says that you will be prompted for the
administrator password, but in Ubuntu you are prompted for your own
password.

A couple of things need to be done with this.
1. Make it accessible from the Yelp main page.
2. Make it applicable to Ubuntu
3. Make the terminology consistent

I suspect there are many other applications that suffer from this lack
of easy availablity and lack of applicability.

So I guess what we could do is pull the original docs from GNOME CVS,
import them into docteam svn, make the necessary adjustments, and
register them with scrollkeeper to get them into a reasonable spot on
Yelp. Is this possible from a technical standpoint?

It's not glamorous work, but something needs to be done so that new
users don't give up on Ubuntu because of their inablility to find help
docs.

Cheers
Jeff

--