Upgrade notes Warty -> Hoary: some important things are missing

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Mar 29 09:35:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 09:12 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> No changes are required unless you wish to change from using another
> character set to using UTF-8.  This is not done automatically, because the
> effects are too far-reaching.

I see

> A migration tool was developed, but it was not ready in time to be used for
> the release (utf8-migration-tool).

I think in that case it would be good to remove the reference to the
migration tools in the Hoary release notes (in yelp) as it is prone to
confuse users:

"Ubuntu 5.04 uses UTF-8 as the default encoding and locale, and includes
migration compatibilities for upgrades. UTF-8 allows support for
international character sets throughout the filesystem and
applications."

Since I use a German character set and had on-and-off minor problems in
the past with charsets, I was happy to see I can convert to utf-8. Now I
find the text quoted above a bit misleading :)

> > On upgrades from Warty, enabling this needs manual user intervention:
> > /etc/sudoers has to be changed from the Warty version of "<username>
> > ALL=(ALL) ALL" to the Hoary version of "%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL".

> This is a risky procedure for an average user to attempt,

I agree

> and in most cases
> it is unnecessary.  I do not recommend that users perform this conversion as
> a matter of course when upgrading to Hoary.  The existing configuration will
> continue to work

Just a thought: won't this create a bit of confusion? There will be 2
kinds of Hoary users. It will be hard to give a correct answer on the
mailinglist when someone asks how to give additional users sudo rights.

> > cd /etc/udev/rules.d; ln -s ../cd-aliases.rules;

> You added this to the WartyUpgradeNotes page in the wiki, which is not where
> it belongs.  I moved it to HoaryUpgradeNotes.

oops, very sorry. Will pay more attention