Language swap

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 10 09:42:02 UTC 2005

Corey Burger wrote:

> I had a thought about the word applications. The word programs, IMHO,
> is clearer for the target audience. Applications is more a
> power-user/developer term. Thoughts?

"Programs" is the term used for all user-visible executables in Windows,
since Windows 3.0 if not before. "Applications" is the term used for
(almost) all user-visible executables in Mac OS (the exception being the
old "desktop accessories"), since System 6 if not before. Since then,
both systems have retained the terminology, presumably for backward
mental compatibility. But I don't think anyone would argue System 6 was
more of a "power-user/developer" system than Windows 3.0 was!

However, given the plain English meaning of "application" as "a specific
use to which something is put", I'd prefer to confine it to things that
people actually want to use computers for. Utilities don't fall into
that category, for example (nobody says "I bought a computer so I could
run GConf"), and neither do most daemons (nobody says "I bought a
computer so I could run initd").

So, programs = applications + utilities + other obscure stuff.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/