Editing of Documents

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 00:31:13 UTC 2005

> For details of the discussion please see http://irclog.workaround.org/
> #ubuntu-doc
> --

Hi Corey

I looked at the irc log and I have this to say concerning changes to quickguide:

I also wondered about to the "not" vs "Not" thing, but I didn't go
changing them all to "not", and I'll tell you why.

1. I came late to the project. For all I know there was a debate about
this point, and it was decided that "Not" is appropriate.
2. I have never seen the "Not" usage, but then I have never seen tech
writing outside North America. Perhaps in other places in the English
speaking world (Australia perhaps) "Not" is perfectly normal.
3. Given the above two points, I thought it would be inappropriate to
go switching the two, so I didn't. The more cooperative and
considerate way to go about that kind of change is to first query its
usage either on #ubuntu-doc, or even better, on the list. At this late
stage in the QuickGuide, it's better to get consensus before making
changes other than spelling, grammar, and punctuation. (I know I know,
"Not" comes under the rubric of spelling, but consistent use of "Not"
should indicate that it is not simply a spelling issue)

Also, before making changes to someone else's writing (other than
spelling, grammar and punctuation) I say this to myself: "Do my
proposed changes make the text *significantly* better, or merely
different?" If they only make the text different and not better, then
it's a waste of time to make them. (Unless the changes correct a
factual error)

In general, play nice. Be humble. Don't make changes simply because
you have some free time on your hands. You are not the only writer on
the planet, and certainly not the best. (and neither am I - we are the
same in that respect).

Cheers,
Jeff