ubuntu-faqguide and ubuntu-quickguide added to desktop seed

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 6 00:53:01 UTC 2005

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:16:44AM +1030, squareyes wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-03-05 at 14:05 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > These packages are now part of the default desktop install, including the
> > current daily live CD.
> >
> > What can we do about moving them to a more obvious place in the topic
> > hierarchy?
> >
> Hi all,
> would it be possible for them to be actually on the desktop, like the
> file that knoppix presents on bootup. Would make them immediately
> accessible for very new users.

We would prefer to keep the desktop clear, as it is now, and present this
type of information through the panels.

About Ubuntu, of course, will continue to have its own menu item under the
System menu.  I think that the best place for the FAQ Guide and Quick Guide
is to put them at the very front page in Yelp, so that the user sees them
when they click on the help icon, since these documents will generally be
the most relevant to new users.

--
 - mdz