Post Hoary

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Fri Mar 4 22:24:09 UTC 2005

I'd like to tackle some details without weighing in on the larger
question. Well, except for these 2 cents: I'm generally a
wiki-for-everything kind of guy; I think rapid evolution/low entry
barrier/high collaboration wins (cf wikipedia). But today's wikis don't
do everything we'd like, either, so I don't think it's clear cut.

Corey Burger wrote:
> -Remove parenting

That is easy to do, if there is consensus. Personally I find it useful
on this site. I'd like to know what the rest of the wiki's authors and
users think. A couple of notes:

- page hierarchy (parenting) is more intuitive when using the zwiki skin
(cf WikiTips). The current layout in the (default) plone skin is not as
clear.

- it appears in a number of places and these could be enabled/disabled
individually. Eg, there is

  1. the overall wiki contents view

  2. the page's context (parents) which appears above the title

  3. the subtopics (children) which appear below the main text

  4. the parents/subtopics which are listed in the backlinks form

- it's easy to disable some or all of these for a period of time as a
trial.

> -Standardize on one markup (I propose the Wikipedia one, as it is
> fairly easy and becoming a standard)
> -Watchlists
> -Better history

Wikipedia markup support and better history will probably require a
developer to step up, or bounties, to happen quickly. I agree these
would be nice to have.

I'm not clear on what watchlists are and why mail or rss subscription
doesn't fill that role ?

Thanks for the input
-Simon