possible documentation viewer?

Jeff Schering jeffschering at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 23:39:17 UTC 2005

On 6/3/05, Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Very little work has been done on option 1. I'll be using some of my desktop
> budget to deal with a number of Yelp issues, and will be paying attention to
> freedesktop.org movements in this area.

Thanks! That's great. But please try to see how printing is a
showstopper. When a user asks "How do I print the help page?", the
wrong answer is "You don't need to print."

> (unless it's very clearly done with the goal of being
> adopted elsewhere, and solving everyone else's problems too).

Agreed.

Perhaps the following idea will help: "Certain members" move
development of the envisioned cross-desktop help browser to
freedesktop.org. That way all interested parties can cooperate and
collaborate and create a solution that solves everyone else's problems
too. We can have our cake and eat it too!

Perhaps it could be an outgrowth of this  discussion:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fhelp_2dsystem. It started with
this email: https://listman.redhat.com/archives/xdg-list/2003-December/msg00040.html.
It seems people have been talking about it for some time.

Cheers,
Jeff S.

--
GPG Key: 1024D/F23C67E8 2005-02-20 Jeff Schering <jeffschering at gmail.com>