possible documentation viewer?

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 3 21:46:39 UTC 2005

<quote who="Jeff Schering">

> 1. Search is a showstopper.

Agree.

> 2. Although it isn't on the above list, Printing is a showstopper.

Highly desireable, not showstopper.

> From a documentation point of view, there are two options:
> 1. fix yelp so that it has the standard features that users expect
> 2. create our own help system
>
> Option 1 doesn't seem to be working out for us.

Very little work has been done on option 1. I'll be using some of my desktop
budget to deal with a number of Yelp issues, and will be paying attention to
freedesktop.org movements in this area. Mucking around creating a separate
Ubuntu help system is an abject, unproductive waste of time, which will not
pay off in the future (unless it's very clearly done with the goal of being
adopted elsewhere, and solving everyone else's problems too).

Certain members of the documentation team appear to be concentrating on
tools and infrastructure more than the documentation itself - this is not
productive.

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: May 29th-31st                           http://2005.guadec.org/

    "It will test your head. And your mind. And your brain, too." - Jack
                           Black, School of Rock