possible documentation viewer?

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Fri Jun 3 18:40:04 UTC 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 20:28, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sean Wheller">
>
> > > We can use CSS in Yelp.
> >
> > Why not?
>
> You should probably re-parse that.

Jeff come on, you know very well that HTML + CSS is a good solution and people
do want it.

We would not be having this conversation if there was no demand from users.

> > I am happy to hear that you will start this ball rolling with upstream.
> > However, does this mean that we must stay with the current problems just
> > because they are only now awakening to the needs. I don'tthink we should.
>
> Sean, you are a docbook geek. You live and breathe it. You see great import
> in issues that do not necessarily matter to the most common use cases. The
> same can be said of the first round of distributed version control hackers
> (cf. tla).

What you now ask is for us go go backward in capabilities. Why, when Docbook
provides such functionality must I accept a lesser solution? The fact that
Shaun oneday got an idea, a good one at that, and decided to build Yelp does
not mean that the standard docbook should be thrown away in favor of lesser
capabilities. Yelp will grow and will improve over time. Perhaps what we are
doing in svn now could serve as a test case for the improvement of yelp. This
approach sounds far more reasonable to me than us having to give up
functionality because of one help viewer. Or perhaps this is one of our
religious questions?

> Meanwhile, we can get a heck of a lot done with what we've got, which is
> pretty good already. We know it will improve over time, as we determine new
> use cases and improve our communication with upstream.

I can get a heck of a lot more done than what we can get done with Yelp. Now
why should we give up the ability to do so just because yelp does not support
it. Earlier you asked me to rationalize the requirements, well I think I may
just have done this in the above. If I was to listthem point for point they
would all culminate in the above answer.

It is not my method that is wrong and I do not believe for one second that we
are creating more "crap." On the contrary we are supporting a standard in
docbook. Yelp is not a standard, what it needs is for GNOME to develop
support for docbook as a standard. With time it will, until then I see no
reason why any team should be forced to comply with the current capabilities
of yelp just because it is there.
--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author