Web sites for docteam

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at canonical.com
Thu Jun 2 13:39:41 UTC 2005

Sean Wheller wrote:

>Hello Henrik,
>
>You have been volunteered to resolve the following infrastructure requirement
>to be run on host: 82.211.81.159 (the machine where our svn is currently
>situated.)
>:-)

Right, I'll speak with James about what the is best way of implementing
this. I think help.ubuntu.com should be integrated with the main site,
so that there is no doubt that is is official Ubuntu documentation, so
it will have to have the headers and tabs used here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/.

The main site uses Plone and runs on the gentoo server, while the
docteam stuff is on maitri. I don't think we want to inject the content
into the Plone site because a) that would have to be done manually with
cut and paste, which we'd rather not do when we want to release 50 new
pages in one go; b) only 10-15 people have manager-level accounts on
Plone now, which we probably don't want to increase because that group
can alter the entire site; and c) the navigation on Plone is not that
flexible.

The best way to do it is probably something like
http://planet.ubuntulinux.org/ which looks integrated with the main site
but is actually a completely different system on a different server.
There is a python script in the form of the planet code that merges the
header and content together. We should set up a similar but much simpler
system that combines the header with some simple HTML pages that we have
pre-generated from the DocBook files. Updating those files would simply
be a matter of generating the HTML files and placing them in a directory
on maitri.

>Please can you arrange for these two services and explain how we may have
>access to update them. Alternately, lets decide on a process to update them.
>For docteam.ubuntu.com I think you can just do a schedule build off of svn.

Right, sounds sensible.

>For help.ubuntu.com I think we will need the assistance of somebody in
>Canonical that has an account on that machine.

Right, if help.ubuntu really only gets updated once every 6 months when
a new version is released then a canonical employee like myself can
simply copy it across manually on the server, and coordinate the timing
with the release generally.

>Please note that as translations arrive they will be added to svn and also
>moved to docteam.ubuntu and/or help.ubuntu.

So, what should the URL structure look like?
help.ubuntu.com/en/breezy/topic ? I think the URL structure on the
docteam.ubuntu site should mirror that on help.ubuntu exactly for
simplicity, but there should be a notice saying 'work in progress' and
no fancy headers.

- Henrik