Harnassing the Gnome User Guide for our document

matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com
Fri Jul 1 06:08:41 UTC 2005

Jeff Waugh writes:

> <quote who="matthew.east.ubuntu at breathe.com">
>
>> >On th eplus side vendor drops will accelerate our ability to build
>> >documents by repurposing upstream content. On the downside, it adds a
>> >level of complexity that may increase the barrier to entry for new
>> >people.
>>
>> Yeah again the entry question is what would concern me here. I would tend
>> to copy and paste as far as the gnome docs are concerned: as Corey and
>> Sean (Q) have said, they are out of date, so it will be question of
>> carefully selecting which bits are useful, and probably doing some
>> corrections to make sure the docs are up to date with gnome 2.12.
>
> They're not wildly out of date, they just need a fair bit of love.

Well, its basically a 2.6 guide which has had a "2.10" label put on it.

> It may be
> a bit too soon for tackling this sort of stuff - all the pieces to make it
> much easier in the future are falling into place at the moment (baz imports,
> soyuz, etc).

yes I agree, we don't really have the resources to work on it coherently
right now either. However I do really think a lot of the work in the guide
can be useful to our userguide, to save us doing some things again, I would
simply recommend a copy/paste approach. It is material we can use, but right
now I don't think we have the people nor the infrastructure to work on
updating it.

Matt