Ubuntu Dual Boot Writeup

Kevin Mulligan kevin at teamindecisive.com
Fri Jan 28 00:50:06 UTC 2005

DocTeam,
I've created an article about dual booting Ubuntu with Windows 2000/XP.
It is more in text form than a step by step process. Would this be
useful to the DocTeam to help fill in parts of the guides? If you use
it, all I ask is that my name is kept with it.

I've put the text below. I would try accessing svn or DocBook or
whatever else you all are using, but that is a bit above my head so I
thought I would throw it on here and let you all deal with it as you
wish. Just trying to give a piece back to the community.

--Kevin

*Dual Booting Ubuntu with Windows 2000/XP* -- by Kevin Mulligan
Note: These instructions were created using a machine running Windows
2000 Pro, not XP. The install should be nearly identical for XP.

*Windows Foundations*
Let's assume you are a Windows user, and have been for a decent length
of time - long enough that all of your computing habits are Windows
based, as it's all you've ever known. You've heard about Linux, free or
open source programs, and it has attracted your attention long enough
that you've decided you want to try it. You don't want to completely
abandon Windows for a multitude of reasons - you know how to use it, you
know the shortcuts, and you are afraid of breaking your computing world
with one fell disto sized sweep. You want to dual boot, and you've
picked Ubuntu for its seemingly simple installation, ease of use, and
community (Ubuntu: "humanity toward others
<http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/conduct/document_view>").

*Obtain a Copy*
First things first - you need to get your hands on the actual
distribution that you plan to install. Ubuntu's current stable release
is Warty - you can download the ISO and burn the CD yourself, or you can
place an order with Ubuntu and have the CD sent to your doorstep - /free
of charge!/ The latter will take a bit of time if you are in the States,
as the CDs ship from Europe; however they are well worth the wait and
come in a professional looking package.

*Preparation*
Now you need to prepare your current Windows system to accept Ubuntu in
a happy manner. You will need a partitioning program - popular options
are Partition Magic ($), Partimage <http://www.partimage.org/> (free),
and QtParted (free available both separately and on the amazing System
Rescue CD <http://sysresccd.org/>). I went with the System Rescue CD.

You need to open up some free space on your drive for Ubuntu to install
to. This is as simple as creating a new partition with the ext3 file
system - easily achievable in the above programs. You may also want to
consider creating a FAT32 partition. Why? Linux cannot access NTFS
partitions, but both Windows and Linux can access FAT32. A common option
is to put programs that will be used on both operating systems (e-mail,
browser, etc.) on the FAT32 partition to prevent installing the programs
on the separate operating systems. This also keeps everything together
at one point, so that e-mails or bookmarks aren't left stranded on the
other operating system.

After you have created the ext3 partition (5-10GB if you intend to use
Ubuntu frequently, considering today's drive sizes), put your Ubuntu CD
in your CD-ROM and reboot. If your system boots normally - back into
Windows - you need to change your boot order settings in your BIOS (hold
down F8 or Del at the beginning of the boot process; Google
<http://www.google.com/> for more information) to read the CD-ROM before
the hard drive.

*The Install*
If your boot order is correct, the installation will start. Ubuntu's
installer is a simple text-based guide, and is easy to follow. Following
the on screen instructions will set up your system pretty quickly. As a
Windows user, one hitch you must notice is that Ubuntu will attempt to
install a new boot loader in your Master Boot Record (MBR); the default
boot loader provided by Ubuntu is GRUB; LILO is available.

You have two options. The first is to let GRUB overwrite the Windows
boot manager in the MBR; this will severely break your installation if
you ever attempt to remove GRUB, as Windows will become severely
confused. Reinstallation of the Windows MBR is not difficult (Google
<http://www.google.com/>), but may require a Windows rescue CD. If you
plan to continue using Ubuntu, or other distros, this isn't an issue.
Your second option is to install GRUB on a separate partition, and point
the Windows boot manager to its location so you can access GRUB and Ubuntu.

Install GRUB, select your time and region settings, and point the
installer toward the ext3 partition you created to install Ubuntu on it.
The installer may ask a few more questions, and your Ubuntu operating
system is ready for your use. Reboot, remove the install CD from the
CD-ROM, change your BIOS settings back to boot from your drive first,
reboot once more and your computer should load into GRUB. It should list
Ubuntu, a safe mode for Ubuntu, a memory test, and your Windows
installation. Make your selection, and enjoy your new operating system.

*Resources: *Ubuntu Linux <http://www.ubuntulinux.org/>, Ubuntu Linux
<http://lists.ubuntu.com/>, Ubuntu Wiki
<http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/>, and irc.freenode.net - #ubuntu