[Proposal] Owner/Maintainer list (was: [proposal] Split User Guide)

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Sun Jan 16 06:52:30 UTC 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 12:21, Enrico Zini wrote:
> I can't understand the outcomes of this complicated discussion.  I
> understand it's about keeping track of who takes ownership of what parts
> of a document, bug I didn't understand how it works.
>
> This is probably bad, because for something to be accepted it should be
> quick to understand, and easy and fun to do.
>
> Could you please make a small recap to me?  Anything longer that 3 lines
> won't be accepted, although a docbook example won't be counted as part
> of the 3 lines :)

1. Each author puts and authorblurb inside the part, chapter, or sectx they
will do. e.g.

<chapter id="chp-admin-serv-dns">
            <title>Domain Name Service</title>
            <authorblurb>
                <para>Sean Wheller: In Progress</para>
            </authorblurb>
            <para>DNS (Domain Name System) is an Internet service that maps IP
addresses and fully
                qualified domain names (FQDN) to one another. In this way DNS
alleviates the need to
                remember IP addresses. Computers that run DNS are called
            <para>Ubuntu ships with <application>BIND</application> (Berkley
Internet Naming Daemon),
                one of the most common programs used for Linux name
servers.</para>
        </chapter>

2. I use XSL to create plain HTML page showing this list.

3. This page and xsl is saved in the repos under housekeep/

4. The HTML is uploaded to a URL and linked to from the status page.

5. We also update https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DocteamProjects to have
link to the status page HTML.

Problem: I can do  the code to make this work, but it is worth nothing if:

1. Authors don't place authorblurbs

2. We can't find an URL for upload.

Ideally it should be a cronjob run off the server.

Hope that helps.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author