#ubuntu-doc report for 2004-01-03

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Tue Jan 4 18:33:17 UTC 2005

Brilliant as usual Enrico. Thanks.

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 05:15, Enrico Zini wrote:
> #ubuntu-doc report for 2004-01-03

>    Froud is now starting to focus
>    on adding content, focusing on the Quick Guide at first.  Plovs warns
>    that there is another version besides the one in the repo.  I'll have
>    to find out.
>  - Plovs postponed working on the quickguide because of this, and
>    focused on the faqguide.

Froud is also holding off since he does not want to waste time if there is
another version. In the interim froud switches to User Guide About section.

>  - Menus are going to be defined in a centralised way, and references to
>    menu items will become really easy to enter in DocBook, in all the
>    documents we are working on.
>    Note: this is what I understood about the reasoning behind
>    "menuchoice", but I could be mistaken.  Froud and Plovs please
>    correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes. Menus are used often in manuals. I anticipate they will be used across
all documents. So the idea is to have their definitions in a single place
(common/menus/) and define them as entities. This was an author can use
entity inclusion to bring in the menu actions the user has to do. Since they
are all defined in a single place it saves physically duplicating the
menuchoice structure, makes writing faster. Should the menus change is an
upcoming release then we will not have to search out and replace all
instances where the menu actions are used. We willjust update the XML
instance of the menu defined in  common/menus/ and all places where the
instance was included are automatically updated.

> * How to validate DocBook document
>
> Quick HOWTO by Froud and Plovs:
>
>  1. cd to trunk/
>  2a. xmllint --noout --xinclude --postvalid quickguide/quickguide.xml
>  2b. xmllint --noout --xinclude --postvalid userguide/usersguide.xml
>  3c. xmllint --noout --xinclude --postvalid faqguide/faq2.xml
>
> If there are validation problems, xmllint will shout; if not it exits
> silently.  You can test xmllint by inducing an error and seeing the
> result.
>
> You can find xmllint in the libxml2-utils package.

I added a shell script trunk/validate.sh to make life easier

SOF
~~~~
#!/bin/sh

# author: Sean Wheller (froud) sean at inwords.co.za
# remarks: Use this script to validate your documents.
# usage: ./validate.sh path/to/xmlinstance.xml
# example: ./validate userguide/userguide.xml

xmllint --noout --xinclude --postvalid $1

~~~~
EOF

> * The "About Ubuntu" page
>
> After syncinc with Plovs, Enrico will take care of finding out a later
> version of the About Ubuntu page and putting it in the repository.
> In the meantime, I created an AboutUbuntuPage page in the wiki to
> collect the plans and status of it.
>

> * make or yelp hang downloading stuff from the Oasis website?
>
> Or you get "I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
> http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd"?
>
> To fix that, you need to have docbook 4.3 installed (the package is
> "docbook-xml").
>
> For make, if it doesn't Just Work(TM), try to set the XML_CATALOG_FILES
> variable in the environment.  For example:
>   XML_CATALOG_FILES=/usr/share/xml/docbook/schema/dtd/4.3/catalog.xml make
> ug
>
> If yelp cannot find catalogs and they are installed, we may have a bug
> in Ubuntu.

I did add some new content to the User Guide About Ubuntu. Perhaps somebody
would like to check and add to it.

> * Quote of the day
>
>  <jiyuu0> what tool do you use to write the xml?
>  <plovs> jiyuu0: vim
>  <plovs> and xmllint and froud, great tools

Plovs has really been on a role the past few days. Thanks plovs for all you
hard work.

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author