Packaging Guide License

Jordan Mantha mantha at chem.unr.edu
Sat Dec 3 03:35:15 UTC 2005

Hi all!
   After a discussion with mpt and Madpilot on #ubuntu-doc I have become
concerned about the license for the Ubuntu Packaging Guide. I took the
guide from a doc done by Ankur Kotwal for the MOTU. The .deb package has
a GPL license so assume that the doc is GPL'd. This means that the
Ubuntu Packaging Guide needs to be GPL'd. I believe that it was GPL'd
because it includes quite  a bit of material from the Debian New
Maintainer's Guide. However, it also had quite a bit from the Ubuntu
wiki (which is not GPL ?). At this point I am wondering what the best
way to go is. Can the Ubuntu Packaging Guide be GPL'd considering the
wiki content? Should the whole thing be rewritten? I am not opposed to
that but it would be some work.

-Jordan Mantha (LaserJock)