? to Docbook [was Re: kubuntu ubuntuguide version]

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Thu Apr 21 13:36:22 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 12:30, Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
> I was almost forgetting the caveat :) that I'm pretty ignorant on XML
> details, including DocBook and OOo versions. So I might be missing
> something ridiculously fundamental.

Fundamental, yes. But Abdullah this converstion is long and pressing for time.
Although, it is interesting to me, I must ask you to accept certain issues as
fact under the current technologies. Believe me when I say that I have been
around this bush more times that I care to remember. It is a square circle.
If there was a better, free and open solution out there, I would be the first
to announce and probably adopt it myself. Fact is there is not, but this is
not to say there will never be, I continue to monitor. One of my monthly
rituals is to catchup on all the XML stuff I can, particularly in the space
of authoring, document and content management.

For now I think you need to find a process and toolchain that works for you
and in the interest of becoming a productive contributor to the documentation
projects, start writing. I can see the subject is close to you and you are
passionate about it, so is the case with me, so visit this issue at a steady
frequency. In the interim you will find that you have learned much more about
the problems that need to be addressed and, who knows, you may discover a
solution that millions of intellectual geniuses have overlooked.

Volker Bernhard Duetsch made a good suggestion to use APT
[http://www.xmlmind.com/aptconvert.html] see if this process will work for
you. It does work for many people I know. Personally, I preffer to go
directly into the source format of storage and so obviate the need for
additional processing and updates. Take into consideration that working in
the APT method is only good one way. Once you commit, authors will hack only
the XML you obtained from your APT. In which case you may find yourself
updating your APT source more than you would like in order to keep it in
sync.

Later, hope this helps.

--
Sean Wheller